Mercenaries are the most common of the warrior professions and can be found just about anywhere. They learn few truly unique skills, sticking instead to the tried and true methods of combat. Don’t be fooled, however, into thinking them weak, for a skilled mercenary can be devastating in combat.
· MERCENARY SKILLS Amateur spear axe dagger flail mace polearm sling staff sword whip bash enhanced damage parry rescue shield block Novice dirt kicking self defense second attack fast healing Initiate crossbow disarm kick retreat Apprentice brawling dodge trip third attack Journeyman rallying cry specialize endurance haggle Veteran bow enhanced parry Expert fourth attack Mentor blitzkrieg skirmish
Swashbucklers are sophisticated, witty, lightly-armed and -armored fighters who are usually found in the cities. They are the only profession that can truly handle the complexity of wielding two weapons at the same time. Experienced swashbucklers are so agile that they can even find ways of using an enemy’s strikes to their own advantage. The two-handed weapon style does have its down side though, especially the inability to use a shield effectively.
· SWASHBUCKLER SKILLS Amateur dagger sling sword dirt kicking dodge dual wield parry Novice heckle self defense juggle sneak Initiate trip fast healing haggle Apprentice crossbow brawling kick second attack Journeyman enhanced damage finesse kip up Veteran disarm enhanced parry endurance Expert skirmish taunt Mentor riposte Master hedgehog stance Champion wolverine stance
Barbarians are uncivilized warriors who combine instinct, determination and sheer brute force into a formidable fighting style. Also called wildfighters, barbarians are healthier and feel the pain of wounds less than others. They are hard to surprise with any attack as their combat instincts never allow them to relax. Most barbarians view magic as a weakness and disapprove of its use. They do, however, have a special bond with shamans and will always accept the use of their spirit-gifted powers.
· BARBARIAN SKILLS Amateur spear axe dagger flail mace polearm sling staff sword whip bash enhanced damage parry Novice dirt kicking self defense second attack fast healing Initiate berserk brawling shield block alertness Apprentice rescue suppression third attack blind fighting butcher Journeyman disarm dodge endurance toughness Veteran fourth attack climb tracking wild fighting Expert counterstrike fury Mentor head butt Master aura of negation
Priests are the most common of the clerical vocations and exist in all but the most uncivilized kingdoms. They are not adept at physical combat, but priests receive spells from their god in compensation. Most of a priest’s spells involve healing or protection of some sort. Although a priest can be of any alignment, most tend toward good or neutral. Far too often, evil priests find themselves forced into a subservient role by the more offensive hellions.
· PRIEST SKILLS Amateur dagger flail mace sling staff scrolls staves Novice meditation Initiate crossbow Apprentice self defense trance Journeyman shield block endurance Veteran second attack Expert brew · PRIEST SPELLS Amateur armor bless continual light cure light detect magic refresh Novice create water cure blindness cure deafness detect poison frenzy holy symbol protection Initiate cure serious identify magical vestment spirit sight Apprentice cancellation create food cure poison know alignment regeneration remove curse Journeyman cure critical faerie fog flamestrike raise dead Veteran cure disease locate object sanctuary spear of faith summon Expert consecrate armor consecrate item consecrate weapon detect aura harm heal recharge Mentor exorcism gate mass healing resurrection Master holy word word of recall
Paladins are the holy knights of the gods of goodness. They adhere strictly to the principled alignment and follow the ancient code of chivalry. Paladins are accomplished warriors and learn a number of combat techniques, but the true strength of the paladins lie in the spells they receive from their gods. Paladins can heal the sick and bless the faithful and they can gather important information about the world. Defensive spells are especially valuable to paladins. Paladins and hellions are mortal enemies, yet they do respect each others abilities, for they are two sides of the same coin.
· PALADIN SKILLS Amateur spear dagger flail mace polearm sword rescue shield block sling Novice parry second attack Initiate combat casting self defense Apprentice disarm enhanced damage Journeyman third attack fast healing Veteran crossbow endurance Expert dodge meditation · PALADIN SPELLS Amateur armor bless cure light refresh Novice call armor create water cure blindness cure deafness cure disease detect invis Initiate cure serious flamestrike frenzy identify Apprentice create food know alignment protection remove curse holy symbol Journeyman cure critical spear of faith Veteran locate object sanctuary Expert bolt of glory detect aura Mentor holy word word of recall Master consecrate armor
Hellions are the unholy knights of the gods of evil. They are always of aberrant alignment and follow their own code of twisted chivalry. Hellions are magnificent warriors and learn many useful combat techniques. The true strength of the hellions lie in the spells they receive from their gods. Hellions can call down sickness and disease upon the people, and their guile allows them to subvert otherwise good creatures. Furthermore, no one can escape to fight another day as well as a hellion. Hellions and paladins are mortal enemies, yet they do respect each others abilities, for they are two sides of the same coin.
· HELLION SKILLS Amateur spear axe dagger flail mace polearm sword shield block sling Novice parry second attack hide sneak Initiate combat casting self defense Apprentice enhanced damage endurance fast healing haggle Journeyman brawling third attack Veteran crossbow cleave Expert dodge meditation Mentor intimidate · HELLION SPELLS Amateur cause light curse Novice blindness chill touch deafness detect invis Initiate cause serious detect hidden invis poison Apprentice identify protection weaken holy symbol Journeyman plague shield Veteran cause critical rift Expert detect aura hellfire Mentor domination word of recall Master consecrate weapon
Shamans are the holy people of the barbarian tribes that roam the wilderness. They worship the spirits of their ancestors instead of the gods, but receive potent spells of both offensive and defensive natures for their devotion. The special powers of the shaman derive from their close contact with the spirit world, but their close contact with barbarians also strengthens their skills in the arts of war.
· SHAMAN SKILLS Amateur axe dagger flail mace staff staves Novice meditation Initiate self defense Apprentice dodge endurance Journeyman second attack trance Veteran brawling shield block Expert brew · SHAMAN SPELLS Amateur armor bless cure light refresh Novice create water cure blindness cure deafness spirit doll slow water breathing Initiate blindness cure serious deafness identify sleep spirit sight Apprentice create food cure poison curse infravision regeneration remove curse Journeyman cure critical dispel magic flamestrike frenzy raise dead spirit aura Veteran call lightning control weather cure disease weaken Expert exorcism heal sanctuary seance Mentor spirit horde word of recall Master voodoo
Bards are charismatic performers of the highest quality. Lords and even kings have been known to employ particularly gifted bards. However, bards are not known only for their musical talent. A bard’s performance is an excellent cover for other types of covert activities. For this reason, a bard is usually a jack of all trades, with a knowledge of history and good combat skill as well as the powers of a magically infused voice.
· BARD SKILLS Amateur dagger sling staff sword whip dance Novice dodge trip haggle sneak juggle Initiate dirt kicking tumbling second attack pick lock streetwise Apprentice crossbow parry self defense endurance Journeyman disguise disarm fast healing lore Veteran brawling third attack Expert enhanced damage plant scrolls Mentor persuade · BARD SONGS Amateur songs of protection songs of war c major Novice songs of healing Initiate songs of death Apprentice f minor songs of antimagic Journeyman countersongs Veteran songs of dancing Expert b augmented sixth songs of magic Mentor songs of sleep Master songs of silence
Rogues are the most common of the adventuring professions. They are weaker in straight combat than a warrior, but receive some compensations in other areas. Rogues are adept in the arts of theft and deception. The greatest ability of a rogue is his ability to strike unexpectedly while his opponent’s back is turned.
· ROGUE SKILLS Amateur dagger mace sword whip backstab dodge trip haggle hide peek sling Novice dirt kicking pick lock sneak steal Initiate parry shield block second attack climb Apprentice disguise crossbow circle stab fast healing streetwise Journeyman disarm self defense endurance plant Veteran brawling hamstring enhanced damage third attack Expert dual backstab scrolls Mentor skirmish envenom Master evasion
Scouts are explorers skilled in woodlore and bush-fighting. They are valued for their ability to silently slip in, observe enemy formations and make it back to friendly soil to report. As much of their job requires them to be loners, scouts are very self-sufficient. They fight well and are adept at living off the land.
· SCOUT SKILLS Amateur spear axe bow dagger staff sword whip dirt kicking dodge fletch Novice butcher endurance sneak tame Initiate shield block second attack camouflage herbalism Apprentice parry rescue self defense skin Journeyman disguise brawling climb pathfinding Veteran third attack envenom fast healing haggle tracking Expert enhanced damage rapid shot skirmish snare Mentor crossbow ambush
Sorcerers are the most common of the wizardly professions, although they can be more scarce in uncivilized kingdoms. They are extremely weak in physical combat, but their spells are a must for any truly worthy group of adventurers. Sorcerers concentrate on those spells which affect the world and people around them. The attack spells that they do receive can be used to spectacular effect, and few can travel across the world as quickly as a sorcerer.
· SORCEROR SKILLS Amateur dagger sling staff dodge scrolls staves wands Novice meditation Apprentice crossbow Journeyman trance Veteran self defense Expert scribe · SORCEROR SPELLS Amateur armor change sex detect buried detect magic magic missile ventriloquate Novice color spray continual light detect hidden detect invis fly invis Initiate enlarge giant strength identify infravision shrink sleep Apprentice acid blast cancellation mirror image shield teleport understand Journeyman airy water charm person dispel magic etherealform haste tongues Veteran locate object mass invis polymorph summon Expert detect aura enchant armor enchant item enchant weapon recharge Mentor depetrification gate petrification spell ward Master final strike
Warlocks are the most untraditional of the wizardly professions, for in the truest sense they are not wizards at all. Yed, the elemental consciousness, grants warlocks their power; they magically harness earth, wind, fire and water. Warlocks wield great destructive power, but are often as great a danger to their friends as to their enemies.
· WARLOCK SKILLS Amateur dagger flail mace sling staff staves Novice dodge Initiate self defense meditation Apprentice endurance Journeyman trance Veteran second attack Expert tracking Mentor brew · WARLOCK SPELLS Amateur create spring detect buried faerie fire healing rays shocking grasp Novice continual light detect hidden detect invis detect poison fly Initiate burning hands dig infravision invis water breathing Apprentice control weather cure poison lightning bolt resist elements Journeyman conjure elemental fireball mass invis stone skin Veteran breath of life earthquake Expert ironguard recharge Mentor chain lightning cone of cold Master magma spray
Necromancers are the masters of the undead and have great skill manipulating the draining energies of the negative material plane. These powers make them very powerful, able to raise up armies from the bodies of dead opponents and to warp space in hideous ways. Wielding these energies does have drawbacks, as they invariably cause a necromancer’s mind to become twisted and warped.
· NECROMANCER SKILLS Amateur dagger sling staff scrolls staves wands Novice meditation Initiate dodge Apprentice self defense Journeyman trance Expert scribe · NECROMANCER SPELLS Amateur armor cause light death shroud detect magic Novice blindness chill touch continual light deafness detect hidden detect invis Initiate animate dead cause serious fly identify sleep weaken Apprentice curse infravision poison shield slow teleport Journeyman cause critical dispel magic feeblemind plague Veteran fear locate object summon vampiric touch Expert control undead detect aura recharge rift Mentor energy drain spell ward Master enchant weapon finger of death