Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Baba the Intrepid - Mist of the Unknown
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:14 pm 
Mortal

I didn't save the stats or anything - everything of consequence was mastered. He was 111 years old and dissapeared into the jungle with Feyih on a last great adventure.

I chose the name Baba because there was an Indian character in the book Shantaram who referred to people with whom he was close with the suffix "baba", like "Lin-baba." The character spoke a broken english, so I figured it would make for an interesting character slate.

I then decided after about 2 months that I didn't want to depict him like that anymore (it was annoying, though I can't even remember what diction I was using), so I had him take some language classes.

The defining characteristic of Baba's life was an utter terror of necromancy and the undead. Early in his life this translated into quick fleeing anytime there were any undead in the room. Later, with the help of characters like Aedus and (insert Talon rogue here), he overcame his fear to the point where he could choke it down enough to translate the fear into anger and attempt to strike it down.

I think I might have created him to join the Peacekeepers, but this fear of the undead translated well into membership in the Druids. Nosephthyki was a great character there at the time. He fought with characters like Maladash, Vaalim, Turon, Gliknok, and many others with the help of friends like Ghanal, Xaaln, Estobar. The only character to kill him during this time was Aldric, who once succeeded in charming Baba under midnight in front of the midnight guardian (35 willpower for the lose), and then defeated Baba in a duel by petrifying him again shortly after.

Then when it looked like the imms pretty much had necromancy in mind for the Druids, I figured it was time to get him out of there. He joined up with Nico and the Guardians. Feyih, Paddah and Nico were his strongest allies at that point (they basically won the priest hero tournament for him). Antiira was probably his greatest antagonist over this period - killing him once with an ingenious ploy suckering Baba into the ethereal plane and then using spirit horde on him. Another time he and Veret killed Paddah and Baba in the Crossroads Haven when I had a brain fart and got screwed by taunt. I think he got me a third time with an ambush in Exile but was quickly finished off by his cancelled charm and the rest of Baba's party.

Finally he retired from the Guardians and spent the last 10-15 years of his life in "retirement" where he had a number of skirmishes with Veret, more of Antiira, Bibi, and others I seem to be forgetting. This was about the time that Jaro came around - what a fantastic character. He and Feyih and later Rakohono kept things interesting in Baba's later years.

Other characters I liked who I forgot to mention include: Hagrel, (gnome Hand nature priest), Ssessil, (halfling necro in Harlequins - my favorite kill was on him by cancelling his hellion control that proceeded to decapitte him with cleave), Jaren (Baba contracted him to kill Bibi but he never succeeded, the jerk), and Loruuna (I'm getting this name wrong - priestess of Mira).

I've intentionally named names here because it'll be fun to hear who I've forgotten. Hopefully it'll stir up events I've missed.

Thanks for all the fish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:20 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Phreya, Kouin, Nosephthyki
I had a great time with Baba throughout the span of his life. Being able to go up againt him in the priest tourney was great, with the way I had it planned out there was no way for her to best him, but I still think he was the best to win.

Thanks for always being willing to put up with Thyki.

It was fun and I look forward to whatever you have planned next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:20 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Aise
Great character, had many fun interactions with you on Iychai. I hope you come back with another one soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:23 pm 
Mortal

Solid priest and always had a great time from all of my characters.

Last edited by BoG4u on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:23 pm 
Mortal

I remember interacting with Baba back when he was the Intrepid or whatever and hanged out with aedus and jemji. I was always puzzled that the Baba I saw later seemed to be a different character, but it sounds like you were able to create and enjoy a creature that grew with time from the interactions he had with others. That's commendable.

Also apparently he was an absolute beast in PVP.

Thanks for sharing him with us.

Whatever happened with that imm-sponsored bid for necromancers in the druids, though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:46 pm 
Mortal

He was Baba the Meek at the beginning of his life.

I also forgot to mention Baalu, Vorytia, and Lynard.

The necromancy in the Druids thing took hold for one chacter I think, then it seems to have been staved off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:07 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Snuffles
You forgot about me! Twice!

I hate you. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:10 pm 
Gold Donor

His spritely sister of faith will sure miss him, that's for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:17 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
jhorleb, you are, imo, the absolute best that SK has to offer. You are unsurpassed in pvp, RP, PvE, and OOC courtesy.

My interactions with Baba were limited to a few hostile exchanges with Aldric, one time sitting in jail with him with Dago, and a couple PvE/RP sessions with Flynt. He was great, and I wish I had at some point gotten to be on the same side as him (didn't keep Flynt long enough). I still wish you had stuck around with Krager for a couple more weeks so we could have PvPed together!

I also found this a little puzzling:
jhorleb wrote:
Hagrel, (gnome Hand nature priest), Ssessil, (halfling necro in Harlequins - my favorite kill was on him by cancelling his hellion control that proceeded to decapitte him with cleave)

Is this meant to be read as "Hagrel, Quinn, Ssessil, Viliatrou? It almost looks like you think Hagrel was a gnome and Ssessil a halfling.

jhorleb wrote:
The only character to kill him during this time was Aldric, who once succeeded in charming Baba under midnight in front of the midnight guardian (35 willpower for the lose), and then defeated Baba in a duel by petrifying him again shortly after.

I was lucky both times, and sorc v priest shouldn't lead to as close a battle as that duel was.

I have to say, the way Antiira ganked Baba has got to be one of the most epic PvPs in SK history. I have to once again give props to Edoras for that.

grep wrote:
Whatever happened with that imm-sponsored bid for necromancers in the druids, though?

Mitch played a necro that was in druids for about a month or so. He was surprisingly mediocre (at least by the Mitch's standards) in the pvp scene, but his RP was great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:25 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: RAWR!
Baldric wrote:
jhorleb, you are, imo, the absolute best that SK has to offer. You are unsurpassed in pvp, RP, PvE, and OOC courtesy.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

Every single character you've made I have adored, and I was really hoping to have more of a chance to soak up Baba's knowledge with my current character.

Whatever you come up with next, I am positive will be influential in RP and PK. Dazzle us again soon, please.