Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:15 am 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
They'd be too buff otherwise IMO. MR barbarians should not be more popular than non-MR barbarians.

I don't think MR barbarians will ever be more popular than non-MR barbarians.

You want an MR barbarian? Make a non MR barbarian and get an MR suit, remove the suit, casts buffs, emote suppress for RP reasons, wear the suit, it is very important that in this juncture you lol at any mr barbarian present in the room, the proceed to gank anyone you want who doesn't have a heal vial.

There, you just invalidated the reason for suppression to remove buffs to even exist when there is a very easy way around it where you manage to keep all the benefits, you just learned that you don't need to train more than one or two points into MR to make an MR barbarian and still have all the buffs in the world, and we just learned that non MR barbarians are always going to be more important because they can just allocate their stat points anywhere else and get gear, even cloth gear, that does what 10 stat points do.

In the end, the MR barbarian needs to be looked at, it doesn't matter that there are ways around it, the mechanic for them to pledge to a very difficult combination is broken. As an MR barbarian right now you will never breathe water to access many areas, you will never fly unless you are a griffon again, ganking the prospect of looking at many areas, and all an enemy needs to do is hide or invis and you will be immune to the barbarian.

MR barbarians will be OP'd if suppression doesn't wipe buffs? Hardly, you can just do what I just told you and have access to said "OP Combo" But if you want my advice, even if you go through the trouble to getting an MR suit and still be able to get buffs, you are still going to get your [REDACTED] handed to you by many of the other combinations that didn't go through half the trouble you did.

Rant ended!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:16 am 
Mortal

My secrets are spilling out of me!!! Noooo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:18 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
You obviously have no idea how long it takes to get a full, or even 3/4, resistance suit barring MR trains. Imagine if you could train "will" and get the equivalent of 10 will enchantments out of it. Now imagine that with no downsides.

Exactly.

As it stands there are numerous ways to get most of the problems with MR trains, though granted some things will be nigh impossible if you were dumb enough to train 8 or more MR. The fact that you can train one MR session and get the equivalent of 10 enchantments permanently ingrained into your character HAD BETTER come at an extremely steep cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:34 pm 
Mortal

I always looked at the MR Barbarian as someone who was willing to lose some height on her ceiling in return for accepting a lift on the level of her floor.

In other words, an MR Barbarian accepts potentially crippling limitations in exchange for potentially incredible benefits, resulting in an experience hovering closer to what might be described as "average."

If you are going up against people who do whatever it takes to get to the ceiling of their potential instead of accepting that Devil's Bargain of sorts, then of course it's going to be a sad, inescapable comparative loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:40 pm 
Mortal

Yes grep. In that regard MR barbs as a sub-class are very similar to griffons as a race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:48 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
And I still say that an MR barb built for twinkness is not mediocre, but one of the most gear dependant and high-potential builds out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:11 pm 
Mortal

I'm not sure if I would agree, Edoras, simply because without healing, at the end of the day, a FULL MR barbarian has no potentially endless HP regain loop in the form of heal potions, and I have not seen gear capable of removing HP loss from a barbarian's list of concerns. A loss of buffs makes this a bigger problem for the MR barb than another, non-MR barb equivalent in all other aspects.

If there were gear that could, without buffs, mitigate damage that wasn't crazy enchanted for MP....... everyone would already be wearing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:51 am 
Mortal

MR barbarians are utter trash and suppression is a joke of a skill. I tested it out with another player back when they were first introduced, and was sorely disappointed.

The only reason one should consider dumping MR on a barbarian is if that player already plays a griffarb, and just realises that they are going to die a lot already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:55 am 
Mortal

A full MR barb should be able to quaff vials and receive healing -- just perhaps not healing vials.

But it's the loss of buffs that completely cripples the MR barb. I'd prefer to see suppression as an active skill (like taunt, with a "release" mechanism) that sets the barb's trained MR to 0 -- and when released, the existing buffs are not cancelled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:42 am 
Mortal

Nightwing wrote:
A full MR barb should be able to quaff vials and receive healing -- just perhaps not healing vials.

But it's the loss of buffs that completely cripples the MR barb. I'd prefer to see suppression as an active skill (like taunt, with a "release" mechanism) that sets the barb's trained MR to 0 -- and when released, the existing buffs are not cancelled.

Code:
wear all.leather

remove all.leather

next?